May 28, 2024  
OHIO University Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12 
OHIO University Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12 [Archived Catalog]

College-Level Requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences

College Requirements

If you are in Arts and Sciences, you are expected to become familiar with this section of the catalog, which relates specifically to College requirements. This section contains information essential to your being a well-informed student at Ohio University. It should be noted that you are responsible for understanding and meeting all requirements designated for your degree program. The following list outlines the Arts and Sciences degree information presented in the sections that follow:

Academic Probation
Degree Requirements (B.A., B.S.)
Second Bachelor’s Degree
Degree in Absentia
Major Requirements
Double Major
Minor Requirements
General Education Requirement
Foreign Language Requirement
Humanities Area Requirement
Social Sciences Area Requirement
Natural Sciences Area Requirement
Level of Study Requirement
Single Application of Credit
Credit, Noncredit, and Pass/Fail Credit
Transient Study
Teacher Licensure
Education Abroad


All departments in the College of Arts and Sciences provide a designated undergraduate advising coordinator who oversees advising procedures within that department. Every student in the College of Arts and Sciences is assigned an advisor, including undeclared (“undecided”) students. It is expected that you will schedule a conference during the priority registration period each quarter. For students with declared majors, your advisor is a faculty member in the department of your major. For undecided majors, an advisor is assigned from Arts and Sciences faculty and administrative staff. To learn more about your advisor assignment go to:

While advising conferences are particularly encouraged during the registration period, it is recommended that you maintain regular contact for assistance with concerns related to academic and career planning. Any requests by students to deviate from stated major requirements must be communicated in writing by the department chair or the undergraduate advising chair to the College Student Affairs Office. While your advisor is expected to assist with course choices and recommendations, it is your responsibility to see that your own program requirements are met. If you have questions about fulfilling requirements you are invited to seek help at the College Student Affairs Office in Wilson Hall.

To change majors, contact the Office of Student Affairs in Wilson Hall. A new advisor will be assigned. All other matters pertaining to advisors are administered by Advising Coordinators or the departmental offices.

Academic Probation

All students who, at the time of review, do not have a 2.0 or higher GPA, will be placed on academic probation and will be required to complete an Academic Success Workshop coordinated by the Allen Student Help Center.  This 90 minute workshop is mandatory each time a student is placed on academic probation and is intended to help students improve their academic performance and return to good academic standing as quickly as possible.  Failure to attend a workshop will result in a registration hold, which will not be lifted until the workshop is completed.  Information about theworkshop will be sent to the students’ permanent address, local address, and/or university email account.  See the Allent Student Help Center website for workshop dates and times.  Please contact the Allen Student Help Center with any questions or concerns about the workshop:  419 Baker University Center, 740.566.888,

Degree Requirements for Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.)

General requirements for a B.A. or B.S. are:

  1. a minimum of 192 quarter hours,
  2. 90 hours of Arts and Sciences coursework above the 199 level,
  3. the equivalent of two years of college-level foreign language (see further explanation of the differences between the B.A. and B.S. requirement in the “Foreign Language Requirement” section below),
  4. at least 18 hours each of humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences coursework,
  5. General Education requirements— Tiers I, II, III—and
  6. all requirements stipulated by the department for the chosen major. Minors are optional.

A minimum of 192 quarter hours of credit is required for either a B.A. or B.S. degree. Policy does not allow an accumulation of more than 72 hours in any one major for a B.A. and no more than 80 hours in one major for a B.S., without a penalty against the total hours to graduate. Any hours earned in excess of the stated maximum for the major will necessitate earning equivalent credit hours over 192.

To receive a degree from the College of Arts and Sciences, you must have a minimum 2.0 GPA on all of the following:

  1. all hours attempted at the college level
  2. all hours attempted at the college level in the major
  3. all hours attempted at Ohio University
  4. all hours attempted at Ohio University in the major.

The graduation GPA is computed after deductions for repeated and noncredit courses have been made. See the “Credit and Grading” section for information on repeated course removal.

Graduation requirements are defined by your catalog of entry and remain in effect for five years from your date of admission to Ohio University. An average course load of 16 hours a quarter is necessary to graduate in four years. Five years after entry, graduation requirements become redefined by the catalog of that year.

For specific information involving graduation requirements, including residence requirements (i.e., the minimum number of credit hours that you must complete at Ohio University), see the Graduation Requirements— Universitywide section of the catalog.

Second (Double) Bachelor’s Degree

The College of Arts and Sciences awards a B.A. or B.S. only once, regardless of the number of majors completed within that degree designation (e.g., one B.A. degree for double majors in Women’s and Gender Studies and African American Studies). Consequently, one diploma is issued per degree. In the case of the dual degree, comprising a B.A. and B.S. (e.g., Spanish and Biological Sciences) or one B.A. or one B.S., and a second degree earned in a different college (e.g., College of Arts and Sciences and College of Health and Human Services), two degrees are conferred and two diplomas are awarded.

University policy requires the completion of a minimum of 208 quarter hours for the second or dual degree (an additional 16 hours beyond the 192 required for the first degree), including all specific requirements for both degree programs. For the guidelines to earning a second or dual bachelor’s degree, refer to the Graduation Requirements  - Universitywide section.

Degree in Absentia

To be eligible for in absentia privileges, you must first be enrolled in one of the programs listed in item 5 below. To earn a degree in absentia, you must have:

  1. completed 144 quarter hours at Ohio University, including specific requirements for the chosen program
  2. earned a GPA of 2.0 or better on all work attempted and on all work in the major
  3. completed all General Education requirements
  4. completed all college distribution area requirements, except the 200-level requirement, of which 45 hours must be complete
  5. completed a full year’s work in an accredited school of dentistry, law, clinical laboratory science, medicine, optometry, physical therapy, or veterinary medicine
  6. been advanced without condition to the second year of training when the professional school’s program is for two or more years
  7. successfully completed the professional program specified

For the clinical laboratory science program, you must receive the approval of the clinical laboratory science advisor. For any other in absentia programs, you must secure a statement from the dean of the College before you enter the professional school granting the degree in absentia privilege.

Major Requirements

If you are a first-year student in the College of Arts and Sciences, you may enroll in the College as an undecided major; you must declare a major at or before you have earned 90 hours. If you have earned 45 or more credit hours from Ohio University, you are ineligible to transfer into the College as an undecided major. Transfer students from other universities may not enroll as undecided in Arts and Sciences.

College policy requires that any major program consist of a minimum core of 36 quarter hours in one subject area, including 16 quarter hours to be taken at the 300–400 level. Most majors require more than 36 hours and there might be specific departmental requirements, such as minimum GPA for core coursework. Methods courses for certification in education are not included in hours that apply to the major. Whether you have chosen a traditional or a special curriculum major, you are obligated to fulfill the requirements specified by the department of the major, which, at minimum, require a 2.0 GPA and at least 50 percent of the major concentration from Ohio University, with no fewer than 12 of those hours at the 300 level or above. No courses in any major (except extradepartmental requirements, e.g. chemistry for a biological sciences major) may be applied to the area distribution requirements.

A second major or second degree program allows an exception to the rule stated above. In the case of a single major, courses used to fulfill that major cannot be used for area requirements. However, courses used to complete a second major may also fulfill the Arts and Sciences distribution areas.

B.A. degree candidates may count a maximum of 72 hours in one subject toward the degree; B.S. candidates may count a maximum of 80 hours. Exceeding this maximum requires increasing total hours to graduate to match the excess major hours. All courses in the major numbered above 199 are applied to the 90-hours-above-200-level requirement. To earn a major in an Arts and Sciences discipline, you must be enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences (except for economics majors, who may be enrolled in either the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Business). If you are a student in another college at Ohio University, you may enroll concurrently or consecutively in Arts and Sciences.

Double Major

For a degree to be granted, you must complete at least one major. A second major (or more), an option that any Arts and Sciences student may pursue, requires that all requirements for each major as described in the Majors, Minors, and Certificate Programs section, be fulfilled.  You are restricted, however, from declaring two majors within the same department - e.g., English and English/Creative Writing or Chemistry and Forensic Chemistry.  You will need to complete at least 50 percent of the credit hours in each major at Ohio University, including a minimum of nine hours at the 300 level or above in each of the two departments, while maintaining a 2.0 GPA in each major.

Courses in the second major, including extradepartmental requirements, may be applied to the area distribution requirements. Completing more than one major program for the same degree program will not, of itself, increase the minimum hours required for Arts and Sciences areas or the 192 hours to graduate.

Minor Requirements

Arts and Sciences students interested in completing a formal minor may choose from the 29 minors offered by the College of Arts and Sciences or select a minor offered by another college. You must declare the minor and fulfill all hour and course requirements for it to be conferred and noted on your Ohio University transcript. The minor will not show on the transcript until a degree is conferred.

University policy stipulates that a minor comprise 24 to 35 required hours, including at least two courses at the 300–400 level. In the case of foreign languages, the minimum requirement is 24 hours beyond the 213 level. English courses fulfilling Tier I composition requirements do not count toward an English minor. To fulfill a minor in Arts and Sciences, you must complete a minimum of eight hours of coursework at Ohio University at the 300–400 level with a grade of 2.0 or above. Within these limits, the distribution of courses, as well as other specific requirements, are determined by the department. At minimum, a 2.0 GPA is required. In cases where extradepartmental courses required to fulfill your major either nearly or completely duplicate courses for your chosen minor, declaring that minor might not be acceptable. See the Majors, Minors, and Certificate Programs  section for specific minor requirements.

General Education Requirement

The University General Education requirements  (Tiers I, II, and III) are similar to, but lesser in scale than, the Arts and Sciences requirements. You may select courses that, while fulfilling University General Education requirements , can partially satisfy Arts and Sciences distribution requirements in foreign languages, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and courses above the 199 level. The lists for humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences indicate specifically, and without exception, the courses that fulfill the three Arts and Sciences areas. Many of these courses also satisfy Tier II requirements.

All courses that fulfill General Education requirements, even if they are not Arts and Sciences courses, apply toward the 192 credit hours needed to graduate from Ohio University.

Some courses designated for Tier I quantitative skills and freshman composition (including any skills courses needed as prerequisites) apply only to hours for graduation and do not apply to Arts and Sciences distribution requirements. Other courses, such as MATH 163A , MATH 163B  and PSY 221  may fulfill multiple requirements. Arts and Sciences courses that fulfill the Tier I advanced composition requirement at the junior level can apply to the humanities distribution area and, or in certain cases, to your major.

Courses designated as Tier III do not fulfill Arts and Sciences requirements, except when they are designated as “capstone” courses within a major and are designated as Tier III equivalents, or in the case of Tier III, when they are taught by Arts and Sciences faculty. In either case, the course contributes to the hours-above-200-level requirement. Courses designated as “Tier III equivalents” may count both for Tier III and toward the major.

Transfer students whose credit is equated as comparable to Tier I level composition or to quantitative courses are considered to have met that Tier I requirement. Transfer students without comparable transfer credit in composition and/or quantitative courses must complete the requirement.

Foreign Language Requirement

The College of Arts and Sciences requires that all candidates for a B.A. or B.S. degree successfully complete two years of foreign language equivalent to or at the college level. The type of degree (B.A. or B.S.) determines how the two-year requirement is completed. These requirements are determined by the degree program (B.A. or B.S). (Transfer students should refer to the “Transfer from Other Universities” section for specific information about transferring foreign language credits to Arts and Sciences.)

Not all language courses taught at Ohio University meet the curricular guidelines of the foreign language requirement. Acceptable languages available from Ohio University include: Arabic, Chinese, Deaf Studies and Sign Language, Indonesian/Malaysian, Japanese, and Swahili (African and Asian); Greek and Latin (classical); German (Germanic); French, Italian, and Spanish (Romance); and Russian (Slavic). The first or beginning year of language at Ohio University is represented by the course numbers 111, 112, and 113, while the second or intermediate year is represented by the course numbers 211, 212, and 213. (See the Course Descriptions section for a complete description of language courses.)

Language Placement Table

The language placement table below represents the broadest interpretation of the language requirement and, therefore, applies more specifically to the B.A. degree. If your major is designated B.S., use the table as a guide to determine if you qualify for the options described in the Candidates for the B.S. Degree section following the table.

The language placement table represents two years of high school language as being equal to one year of college language. If you choose to meet the requirement with the language you’ve studied in high school it must begin according to the recommendations listed below. If you have completed two or more years of high school language, these recommendations assume there has been thorough foreign language preparation within the last year. If this is not the case, you are strongly advised to enroll first in a lower-level course as preparation to enter the intermediate level.* A placement exam is available to evaluate your competency in French, German, and Spanish. Enrolling at a level higher than indicated by the table and your high school experience is not permitted.  (Please note that you are free to choose a different language from your high school courses but you must begin with 111 and complete the sequence according to your B.A. or B.S. degree specifications.)

Students wanting to enroll in a higher-level foreign language course than indicated by the table need to contact the assistant dean in the College of Arts and Sciences to discuss options: 

Years of language  in high school   Begin college language at
0–1 year
2–3 years
4–5 years
      Course 111
Course 211
Course 213 or 341 (Latin 351)

*If you find it necessary to repeat high school–level work (111–113) to prepare for the intermediate level, these credits will be applied to the 192-hour graduation requirement, but do not fulfill any part of the language requirement. Once the language requirement is completed, any foreign language course that does not duplicate coursework for the requirement or high school work will be applied to the humanities distribution area.

B.A. Degree Options

The foreign language requirement for B.A. degree candidates is the successful completion of a two-year sequence of study of one language from level 111 through level 213. Two years of high school language are considered the equivalent of one year of college language. According to your preference, however, your two years of college-level study may be a language other than the one studied in high school.

For the B.A.
Zero to one year of high school foreign language must complete two years of one foreign language at the college level.

Two to three years of one high school foreign language must complete the intermediate level (second year) 211–213, of the same language or, if you prefer, two years (111–213) of a language different from the one studied in high school.

Four or more years of one high school foreign language must complete level 213 or 341 or higher in the same language.

Four years of high school Latin may complete LAT 351 , rather than LAT 213 . LAT 351 is recommended.

B.S. Degree Language Options

If you are earning a B.S. degree, you must meet the foreign language requirement through two years of college language study or the equivalent. This policy allows for several interpretations.

For the B.S.
Zero to one year of high school language must choose to complete a full sequence in one language (two years—6 quarters, 111– 213) or one year each (3 quarters for each) of two different languages of beginning level (111–113; 111–113).

Two to three years of high school language must choose either to complete the intermediate level of the same high school language (211–213) or complete the beginning year of a second language (111–113).

Four or more years of high school language (that includes either four years of one language or two years each of two different languages), may consider the language requirement met.

Choice of Degree Options

For the limited number of majors that offer a choice of either the B.A. or B.S. degree (see listings in the Majors, Minors, and Certificate Programs section), you may choose which degree to pursue. Be certain to select the appropriate language requirement. See above section for the respective B.A. or B.S. language requirements.

Transfer Students

Please refer to the “Transfer From Other Universities” section for specific information about the transfer of foreign language credits.

International Students

For international students whose first or native language is not English, and who completed high school where the first or native language was the one primarily used for instruction, the foreign language requirement may be satisfied by demonstrating competence in English. This must be approved by the assistant dean in the College of Arts and Sciences, and it generally requires the successful completion of at least one or more courses in English as a foreign language, specifically ENG 151  and/or ENG 305J  or ENG 308J .

You may also satisfy the foreign language requirement by taking a foreign language other than your own first language at Ohio University, or by successfully completing the NYU foreign language exam.

Enrollment in the beginning or intermediate level (under 300) of your own first language(s) will be considered a noncredit course.

Humanities Area Requirement*

The humanities requirement may be met by selecting 18 quarter hours from two or more departments, excluding the major, with at least eight hours in one area, from the following:

  1. African American Studies: 106 , 110 , 150 , 210 , 211 , 250 , 310 , 317 , 350 , 352 , 353 , 355 , 356 , 357 
  2. College of Arts and Sciences: 111 , 112 
  3. Art History
  4. Classical Archaeology, except 211, 212, 213
  5. Classics in English
  6. Communication Studies: 351 , 352  , 353 
  7. Dance: 170 , 351 ,471  , 472  , 473  , 474 
  8. English, except 150 , 151 , 152 , 153 , 153A , 153B , 451 , 452 
  9. Fine Arts 150 
  10. Foreign language courses other than those used to complete the foreign language requirement and except 199 and 341 
  11. History 121 , 122 , 122A , 123  ,314A , 314B , 314C , 314D , 314E , 314F , 314G , 328 , 328A ,329A , 329B , 329C , 330 , 331  , 339  , 340  , 350A , 351 , 352  , 353A , 353B , 353C , 354A , 354B , 356A , 356B , 356C , 357 , 360A , 360B , 370 , 389 
  12. Humanities 107 , 108 , 109 , 117 , 307 , 308 , 309 
  13. Interdisciplinary Arts
  14. International Literatures in English, International Literature: Linguistics, and International Literature: Modern Languages
  15. Modern Languages 321J , 370J   
  16. Music/Music Literature 120 or 125 124 , 224 , 321 , 322 , 323 , 427 , 428 
  17. Philosophy, except 120 
  18. Portugese 412 , 413 
  19. Theater 270 , 271 , 272 
  20. University Professor 150–152H, 450–452H (class subjects vary; check Course Offerings for more information)
  21. Women’s and Gender Studies, except 360   
  22. World Religions, except 413   

Social Sciences Area Requirement*

The social sciences requirement may be met by a selection of 18 quarter hours from two or more departments, excluding the major, with at least eight hours in one area, from the following:

  1. African American Studies 101 , 190 , 202 , 220 , 225 , 254 340 , 341 , 345 , 346 , 360 , 368 , 440 , 482 
  2. Anthropology, except 201 , 346 , 355 , 447 , 448 , 492 , 496 , and those listed as natural sciences below
  3. Business Law 255 , 442 , 475   
  4. Classical Archaeology 211 , 212 , 213 
  5. College of Arts and Sciences 113   
  6. Economics
  7. Geography, except those listed under Natural Sciences (see below)
  8. History, except those listed under Humanities (see above)
  9. International Studies 103 , 113 , 118 , 121 
  10. Japanese 341   
  11. Linguistics
  12. Political Science
  13. Psychology, except 120 , 221 , 312 , 314 , 321 
  14. Social Work
  15. Sociology
  16. University Professor 150–152S, 450–452S (class subjects vary; check Course Offerings for more information)
  17. Women’s and Gender Studies 360   

Natural Sciences Area Requirement*

The natural sciences requirement may be met by selecting 18 quarter hours from two or more departments, excluding the major, with at least eight hours in one area from the following:

  1. Anthropology 201 , 346 , 355 , 447 , 448 , 492 , 496 
  2. Astronomy
  3. Biological Sciences
  4. Chemistry, except 115 
  5. Computer Science 416 
  6. Environmental and Plant Biology, except 217 
  7. Geography 101 , 202 , 302 , 303 , 304 , 305 , 310 , 315 , 316 , 358 , 406 , 407 , 408 , 409 , 411 , 417 , 418 , 466 , 467 , 476   
  8. Geological Sciences
  9. Mathematics, except 101 , 102 , 109 , 113 , 115 , 117 , 118 , 120 , 121 , 122 , 253 , 320L   
  10. Physical Science
  11. Psychology 221 , 312 , 314 , 321 
  12. Physics
  13. University Professor 150–152N, 450–452N (class subjects vary; check Course Offerings for more information)

Note: Methods courses are not applicable to area requirements.

*These listings must be used as the official guide for the completion of the Arts and Sciences area (distribution) requirements. Exceptions to the 18-hour Arts and Sciences area distribution will be made only under the most unusual of circumstances and by petition only. Consideration for inclusion of courses not listed is not made on an ad hoc basis but requires formal approval of the Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee.

Some courses from these categories may also be applied to the University Tier II requirements. However, the three Arts and Sciences area categories differ in scope from the six Tier II groupings (Applied Science and Mathematics, Cross-Cultural Perspectives, Fine Arts, Humanities and Literature, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences). If you wish to select a course that will apply to both the Arts and Sciences and Tier II requirements, take care to choose a course that has been approved for the desired category in both the College and the University listings. (The list of courses approved for Tier II categories appears in the Graduation Requirements - Universitywide section of the catalog.) Courses that can fulfill Tier I quantitative skills and freshman composition requirements and the Tier III requirement do not apply to the Arts and Sciences area distribution requirements, except for MATH 163A  , 163B  and PSY 221  .

Level-of-Study Requirement

Hours at the 200 level or above

Within the total hours applied to the degree, at least 90 quarter hours of Arts and Sciences courses must be above the freshman level (numbered above 199). Arts and Sciences courses are defined as courses listed earlier in this section under humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, and include foreign languages, courses from the department major, and courses taught by faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences intended to meet the junior composition or Tier III requirement. University Professor (UP) courses taught by Arts and Science faculty will count only if they are listed as applicable to any of the three A&S area requirements.

Economics majors may apply QBA 201  and, with departmental approval, other advanced courses in statistics, to the Arts and Sciences 200-level requirement for a maximum of 15 hours.

Non–Arts and Sciences courses are almost always considered electives and not counted toward the level of study requirement. Rather, they apply toward the 192-hour requirement for graduation.

Single Application of Credit and Exceptions

Excluding the exceptions explained in Hours at 200 level or above, no course may satisfy more than one of the area requirements in foreign language, humanities, social sciences, or the major requirement. For example, a philosophy major may not apply any courses in philosophy toward the humanities requirement and courses that fulfill freshman General Education Tier I requirements or Tier III will not apply to the distribution area requirement.

Exceptions to the single application rule include:

  • MATH 163A ,  , and   will fulfill the Tier I quantitative requirement, as well as the natural science area.
  • Although in general, courses required for a major apply only to the major, Tier III-equivalent courses may fulfill both major and Tier III requirements, and courses required for a second major may be used for the area requirements. Required courses from outside the major department (extradepartmental) will be counted toward the area requirements, except in the case of interdisciplinary majors (i.e., international studies, classical studies) where required courses normally may not be applied to the distribution areas.
  • Courses required for a minor will be counted toward the area requirements, except for non–Arts and Sciences minors.
  • Foreign language courses at the beginning and intermediate levels for students majoring in that foreign language fulfill the language requirement, since the major is defined as including language courses above the intermediate level only.
  • Junior-level advanced composition courses offered by departments within the College of Arts and Sciences apply to the distribution area requirements, except when they are required for the major (e.g.,  ,  , or Tier III equivalents).

Hours of Credit (CR), Pass/Fail Courses, and Noncredit Allowed

Credit (CR) Hours
Coursework that is offered for credit (CR) may be applied toward requirements, but is limited to 15 hours out of 192 hours earned. (Do not confuse credit (CR) with pass/fail (P/F).)

Pass/Fail Hours
Courses taken pass/fail are limited strictly to electives hours, or hours that fulfill hours to graduate, and may total no more than 20 hours. No course taken pass/fail may fulfill any requirement, except the total hours requirement. For an Arts and Sciences student, this policy effectively restricts taking any pass/fail course within the areas of foreign language, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, major, minor, 90-hours-above-200, and special curriculum requirements, unless that area is completed, as required. See the Pass/Fail section in the Credit and Grading section of the catalog for further information.

Noncredit Hours
Noncredit courses do not count toward the 192-hour requirement. Noncredit courses are those numbered below 100; courses completed out of sequence (i.e., a lower-level course taken after completing an advanced course in the same academic department); certain technology courses; developmental courses (e.g., ENG 150  , MATH 101 ) in excess of eight credit hours; skills courses such as UC 110  and 112  in excess of the eight-hour limit; credits duplicated by the repetition of coursework; and courses taken for audit. See the Guidelines and General Information section for details about credit and grading, repeated courses, and residence requirements that affect hours required.

Transient Study

Transient study is defined as earning credit hours at another institution for the purpose of fulfilling specific Ohio University or College of Arts and Sciences requirements. (Transfer study refers to credits transferred from another institution when students are admitted to Ohio University.) See “Transferring Credit” in the Admissions section.

If you wish to earn credit by transient study, remember you must complete 50 percent of your major, including at least 12 hours of 300–400 level work at Ohio University to complete an OU degree. Any minor must include 8 hours of courses at the 300–400 level and 50 percent of required coursework from Ohio University.

Before registering for courses at another institution to earn credit through transient study, you must secure permission from the College of Arts and Sciences. A visit to the College’s Office of Student Affairs will determine beforehand the value to your progress toward graduation of any intended courses. You might need a catalog and/or course description from that institution in order to complete the petition form. Permission forms can be downloaded from the CAS Web site at Keep in mind that while credits are transferable, grades are not. Your GPA will not be affected by credit hours transferred from another school, nor can you replace an OU course with a transferred course.

See the major requirements section for information regarding Ohio University credits.

Teacher Licensure

Students in the College of Arts and Sciences can meet the requirements for licensure to teach at the secondary school level by completing requirements for either the B.A. or the B.S. degree program and completing any necessary requirements through the College of Education. Information about requirements is available from department representatives in the College of Arts and Sciences. If you are interested in teaching, begin planning for your required courses as early as possible.

Education Abroad

Among the many study abroad opportunities offered by Ohio University are more than two dozen programs open to all majors sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences, listed below. For additional information about education abroad, please refer to the “Academic Opportunities - Universitywide” section. See also, Global Leadership Center. Be sure to inform your academic advisor and meet with staff in Education Abroad and the Office of Student Affairs in the College to discuss your plans. For information on programs and on using your financial aid for study abroad, visit the Office of Education Abroad in Lindley Hall 185 or at All programs are subject to change.

Language Programs Abroad
Austria (Salzburg) - German Language and Austrian Culture, spring;
Brazil (various locations) - Portuguese Language and Brazilian Culture, summer;
Canada (Quebec) - French Language and Quebecois Culture, summer;
China (Beijing) - Chinese Language and Culture, summer;
Ecuador (Cuenca) - Spanish Language and Culture, spring;
France (Avignon) - French Language and Culture, spring;
Italy (Florence) - Italian Language and Culture, summer;
Japan (Nagoya) - Japanese Language and Culture, fall (with option to stay longer);
Mexico (Mérida) - Spanish Language and Mexican Culture, winter;
Russia (Moscow) - Russian Language and Culture, spring;
Spain (Toledo) - Spanish Language and Culture, winter, spring, and/or summer.

Student Exchange Programs
Australia (Newcastle) - University of Newcastle, one semester or one academic year;
Austria (Salzburg) - University of Salzburg, one semester or one academic year;
Denmark (Odense) - University of Southern Denmark, fall semester or one academic year;
Germany (Leipzig) - University of Leipzig, fall semester or one academic year;
Japan (Nagoya) - Chubu University, one semester or one academic year;
Japan (Tokyo) - Musashi University, one semester or one academic year:
Wales (Swansea) - Swansea University, one semester or one academic year.

Other Arts and Sciences Programs
Bahamas (Andros Island) - Tier III: An Island as Environment, winter intersession;
Ecuador (Cuenca) - Teaching English as a Foreign Language, summer;
Ecuador (various locations) - Tropical Disease Workshop and Research, summer;
France (Paris) - Women’s and Gender Studies, summer;
Germany (Hamburg) – SPIRE – the Spin Triangle (Physics program), summer;
Italy (Rome) - Classics and History;
Puerto Rico (Río Piedras) - Puerto Rican Culture, winter intersession;
Various locations - Global Studies in Plant Biology, fall, winter intersession, and summer;
Wales (Cardiff) - Internship with the National Assembly of Wales, fall or winter.