Major code BS1203
College of Health Sciences and Professions
School of Nursing
Grover Center E317
This major code is for currently licensed registered nurses (RN) seeking the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
All RN to BSN NRSE courses are delivered online. The Ohio University RN to BSN program builds on the experience and competencies of the registered nurse (RN) and provides additional coursework to enhance skills in the areas of clinical reasoning, leadership, management, and evidence-based practice. The RN to BSN program prepares students in the science and principles of nursing to provide care for individuals, families, and populations within complex healthcare systems. The RN to BSN curriculum includes courses in the sciences, humanities, and human behavior in addition to the core nursing courses.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program:
- Students will be able to demonstrate clinical reasoning skills using the nursing process that result in the application of theory to safe professional nursing practice.
- Students will be able to employ effective communication skills when interacting with patients, families, members of the community, and members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Students will be able to execute evidence-based practice principles within the BSN scope of practice to ensure quality of care to culturally diverse individuals and populations.
- Residents with an active unencumbered registered nurse (RN) license in one of the Ohio University RN to BSN authorized states. For a list of current states, please visit: https://www.ohio.edu/chsp/nursing/rn-bsn/eligibility
- Associate degree or diploma in nursing from a state board of nursing approved program
- Grade point average of 2.0 or higher
Applicants must be a graduate of an approved program (or its equivalent) that prepares individuals to sit for the registered nurse licensing exam (NCLEX-RN) and be a resident of one of the Ohio University authorized states. Check undergraduate admissions website or call the School of Nursing for a list of current approved states.
External Transfer Admission (Never attended Ohio University)
The majority of students in this program are considered transfer students in that they completed the basic registered nurse preparation and possibly general education courses at another institution. All work completed previously at an institution other than Ohio University will be evaluated according to academic requirements of the RN to BSN major and Ohio University transfer credit policy. All transfer students who have never attended Ohio University must complete an application form to become an OHIO student.
Previously Attended Ohio University
Students who previously attended Ohio University do not need to apply to Ohio University. Previous OHIO students must submit a re-enrollment form to the Ohio University Registrar office and complete an Update of Program form to the School of Nursing. Call the School of Nursing or visit: http://www.ohio.edu/rntobsn
Opportunities Upon Graduation
Following graduation, registered nurses with the BSN degree are able to pursue nursing leadership positions within health care agencies and are prepared to enter master’s or doctoral programs in nursing that would lead to advanced nursing roles.