Certificate Code CTSNLU
College of Health Sciences and Professions
School of Nursing
Grover Center E317
Char Miller, contact person
The School of Nursing has an approved School Nurse Certificate program for those who have graduated with a BSN degree from Ohio University. The School Nurse certificate requires a minimum of 15 credit hours and is for students interested in obtaining an Ohio Department of Education Pupil Service License to be a School Nurse in the state of Ohio. Required courses include courses through the School of Nursing, as well as a course from psychology or health. The majority of courses are delivered online, although some elective courses could require classroom attendance. Students who are completing the Ohio University RN to BSN program may take these courses concurrently. Student who hold a nursing baccalaureate degree (BSN) from another institution can also complete the requirements as a non-degree seeking student.
For additional information visit https://www.ohio.edu/chsp/nursing/graduate/certificates or contact the School of Nursing by emailing email@example.com.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program:
- Competent Practice: Students will be able to practice competently by providing nursing care within the scope of practice of nursing for a registered nurse in Ohio.
- Communication: Students will be able to practice safe nursing care in the communication of information.
- Professional Behavior: Students will be able to use professional behavior skills to provide leadership in the practice of school nursing.
To be admitted into the school nurse certificate program, students must meet both of the following:
1. A completed bachelor’s degree in nursing (or in process) OR a Registered Nurse (RN) with currently active license (for RN-to-BSN or post-baccalaureate students).
2. At least a grade of B- or above in the following courses: NRSE 4510 , 4520 , 4530 , 4540 .
Change of Program Policy
No selective or limited admission requirements.
External Transfer Admission
No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Opportunities Upon Graduation
Students who complete this certificate program will be eligible to request a pupil services license from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) in order to work in Ohio schools.