Certificate Name and Number: Healthcare Leadership Certificate - CTX16G
Department/Unit: College of Health Sciences and Professions – Department of Interdisciplinary Health Studies
Delivery Mode: Offered in an online/ blended format to encourage interaction among the cohort and to make it attractive to persons currently employed who cannot attend traditional/residential offerings.
Certificate Overview: The Healthcare Leadership Initiative is designed to offer high quality educational opportunities for working healthcare professionals in order to assist them to more effectively lead people, improve quality and safety, enhance the patient experience, stimulate financial growth, and further develop a robust organizational culture for your staff. Furthermore, the current complexity of the healthcare delivery system and its related programs and services, effective leadership is a critical success factor. Traditional MHA and MBA programs are preparing some leaders, but there is a growing demand from physicians, nurses and others to be better prepared for the leadership roles they are assuming.
Opportunities upon Completion: There is a growing demand from physicians, nurses and others to be better prepared for the leadership roles they are assuming. We believe this certificate, which is based on a model of core leadership competencies and pillars of success used to translate strategic plans into operational goals and objectives (e.g., quality, finance, employee engagement), will help to better prepare them for these leadership roles. Furthermore, the completion of this certificate opens the door to opportunities to stack graduate-credit certificates.
Graduation Requirements: The Healthcare Leadership Graduate Certificate consists of 5 courses for total of 15 semester credit hours. Upon applying for graduation (for degree-seeking students) or completion of the certificate requirements (for non-degree students), you must contact the program coordinator for verification of completion and the awarding of the certificate.
Michael Kushnick, Chair
Department of Interdisciplinary Health Studies
Grover Center W122
Athens, OH 45701
Required Courses (credit hours)
- HSP 5200 Foundations of Leadership in Healthcare (3)
- HSP 5201 Leadership Role in Quality, Safety and Service (3)
- HSP 5202 Strategic Approach to Financial Health, Innovation and Growth Strategies (3)
- HSP 5203 Leading People: Strategies Beyond Human Management (3)
- HSP 5204 Advanced topics in Leadership (3)
Admission Requirements: The Healthcare Leadership Graduate Certificate program will accept students in two categories: (1) those who have been admitted to an advanced-degree program at Ohio University and (2) those who possess a bachelor’s or advanced degree but are not currently in a degree program at Ohio University.
- Students who have already been admitted to an advanced degree program at Ohio University (degree-seeking graduate students) need to complete an Application for Update of Graduate Academic Program. This application can be obtained online or in-person from the Graduate College. The completed application, including the signature of an advisor and the certificate/program coordinator, should be submitted to the Graduate College office at Ohio University.
- To apply for the certificate program as a non-degree student, you must submit an application, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score, post-secondary transcripts, an essay on career goals and objectives, a resume, and three letters of recommendation and submit to this package to the Graduate College.