Degree Title: Master of Sports Administration
Program Name and Numbers: Sports Administration – MS8161
Department/Unit: Department of Sports Administration
Delivery Mode: The Professional MSA is delivered through online modules and virtual classes. Six residency opportunities are offered to students, four at Ohio University’s Athens campus, and two at the National Sports Forum.
Program Mission: The mission of the Professional MSA program is to provide professionals in the sports industry with a foundation in leadership, critical decision-making skills and sport-specific knowledge to immediately add value to their organizations.
Program Learning Objectives: At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply effective leadership and critical decision-making skills to successfully manage issues and challenges facing sport managers.
- Recognize and address moral and ethical challenges within the sport industry.
- Demonstrate effective sales and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate a variety of research methods to address managerial issues in the sport industry.
- Discuss the legal implications and risk management needs as applied to the sport industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to use sport management theory as a base for professional practice.
- Strategically plan for sport facility and event management.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to effectively manage sport within a diverse, global society.
Program Overview: The Professional MSA program is on the cutting edge of the sports industry. The curriculum facilitates the connection of classroom knowledge to professional experiences and provides students the opportunity to immediately apply learning to their professional context.
The unique curriculum is centered on three major components: a sports administration core, applied projects and current issues. The sports administration core allows students to develop foundational knowledge in critical sports business functions such as marketing, facilities and event management, human resources, and leadership. Students will also explore sponsorship, sports governance and topics in sports law. In addition to the core, students will apply their learning through applied projects and the exploration of current issues in the sports industry.
Link to Program: http://business.ohio.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/professional-master-of-sports-administration/
Graduation Requirements: The program curriculum is a 36 credit hour, lock-step program. Students will take the following courses over the course of five semesters.
- SASM 6100 Leadership in Sports Administration
- SASM 6260 Sports Governance and Policy Development
- BUSL 5650 Sports Law
- SASM 6480 Management of Public Assembly Facilities
- SASM 6700 Financial Administration of Sport
- SASM 6800 Research Methods in Sport Administration
- SASM 6570 Sponsorship in Sports
- SASM 6550 Sport Marketing
- SASM 6670 Human Resources Management in Sport
- SASM 6990 Capstone Seminar
Applied Projects and Current Issues
- SASM 6931 Special Problems (3 hours)
- SASM 6880 Contemporary Issues in Sport Sciences (3 hours)
- Regionally accredited bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in the sport industry.
- Three letters of recommendation from professional or academic references. At least one letter from a supervisor is strongly recommended.
- Official transcripts from all degree bearing institutions at the bachelor’s level or higher and unofficial transcript for any additional college coursework.
- A professional plan statement discussing your career goals, how the master’s degree will help you achieve those goals, areas or competencies that you expect the program will help you strengthen and what you plan to contribute to the learning community.
- Current resume.
- TOEFL or IELTS for non-native English speakers.
Transfer credits are not accepted for this program.