Dec 08, 2023
Major code BS8156
The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education and Human Services
Department of Recreation and Sport Pedagogy
Grover Center E160
Athens, OH 45701
Bruce Martin, contact person
This option prepares students for professional opportunities ion outdoor recreation and education. Upon completion of the degree, students should qualify for direct leadership, supervisory, and administrative positions in a wide variety of professional settings in which outdoor recreation and education is practiced. Some of these settings include city recreation and park departments; state and federal parks and protected areas; youth services agencies; residential camps; nonprofit civic and religious organizations; collegiate outdoor pursuits programs; high adventure and guide services; and traditional outdoor schools, such as Outward Bound and the National Outdoor Leadership School.
To complete this program, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete the University’s General Education requirements
- Maintain an accumulative grade point average of C (2.0) in all courses taken at the University
- Complete all core requirements in the Recreation Studies major and all required courses in the Outdoor Recreation & Education concentration with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- Complete a minor or certificate program
- Complete 60 days (480 hours) of documented outdoor leadership experience prior to beginning an internship
- Complete an approved internship with an acceptable program.
Required Core Recreation Courses
Required Outdoor Recreation & Education Courses
Restricted Electives (Select 12 hours)
Students must complete a minor or certificate program to complete requirements of the degree.
Internship, Practica, Field Experience, Senior Internship Registration Requirements
Generally, the policy on internships, practica, field experiences, and senior internship requires registration for the experience in the quarter(s) that the requirements for the course are actually fulfilled. The only exception to this requirement is an experience that takes place over winter break, in which case registration for the course may occur during either fall or winter quarter. Be sure to work closely with your adviser/program coordinator to ensure proper registration and fulfillment.