May 25, 2024  
OHIO University Undergraduate Catalog 2008-09 
OHIO University Undergraduate Catalog 2008-09 [Archived Catalog]

Long-Term Health Care Administration Major (B.S.H.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments and Schools

Major code BS6836

College of Health and Human Services
School of Health Sciences
Grover Center E317
Athens, OH 45701
Phone: 740.593.4675
Fax: 740.593.0555

Lisa Yehl, contact person

Health administration offers two options: health services administration and long-term health care administration. The long-term health care administration option prepares you for a career in the management of nursing and other long-term care facilities. It qualifies you to take the licensure examination of the Ohio Department of Health Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administration, as well as the National Licensure Examination.

The completion of the undergraduate degree program in long-term health care administration requires both a 400-hour practicum and a 400-hour internship, which must be completed in skilled nursing facilities under the direction of a preceptor administrator who has at least two (2) years experience as a practicing Licensed Nursing Home Administrator. Skilled nursing facilities must have a minimum of 50 beds and are Medicare and Medicaid Certified.

Note: If you pursue a double major in health services administration (HSA) and long-term health care administration (LTC), you will be required to register for and complete a separate internship for each major, HLTH 481 for HSA and HLTH 482 for LTC. You only need to register and complete HLTH 480B for your practicum requirement.

At the completion of either course of study, and after official application for degree conferral, you will be awarded a Bachelor of Science in Health. Upon completion of the long-term health care administration option, you will also qualify for an Ohio University undergraduate Gerontology Certificate. Graduates are eligible to sit for State and Federal Licensure Boards, which, once passed, enable them to work as a Nursing Home Administrator.

Select one course from the following:

Additional Requirements

Select an additional 8 hours from HCCF, PSY, SOC, or SW at the 300 level or above

Internship, Practica, Field Experience, Student Teaching Registration Requirements

The college’s policy on internships, practica, field experiences, and student teaching requires that you be registered for the experience in the quarter(s) that you are actually fulfilling the requirements for the course. The only exception to this requirement is an experience that takes place over winter break, in which case you may register for the course during either fall or winter quarter.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments and Schools