Sep 26, 2023
GEOL 2110 - Introductory Oceanography
Survey of physical, chemical, biological, and geological aspects of oceanography.
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Pillar: Natural Sciences
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2NS
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: TMNS Natural Sciences
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Be conversant with a general overview of marine life, including the more common plankton, fishes, mammals, and birds as well as how certain types of manage buoyancy, salinity, and food.
- Be conversant with common coastal land forms and how they form.
- Be familiar with the more common ocean resources, as well as aspects of managing such resources in light of scarcity, abundance, and environmental degradation as it applies to resources.
- Have an essential understanding of how waves, tides, cyclonic storms (hurricanes), and tsunamis function.
- Know the basic properties of sea water, including salinity, temperature, pressure, pH, nutrients, and the dissolved contents of oxygen and carbon dioxide in ocean water.
- Know the basics of latitude and longitude, and be able to relate it to the history of ocean exploration and modern scientific discoveries.
- Know what some of the more pressing environmental problems.
- Understand the nature of the ocean floor and how ocean basins form and evolve in the context of the plate tectonic model.
- Understand the basic principles that govern ocean circulation in surface ocean waters, including the Coriolis Effect, Ekman Transport, circulatory gyres, upwelling, and downwelling.
- Understand the basics of nutrient availability and how it governs where ocean life is most and least productive.
- Understand the essentials of thermohaline circulation and the essentials of deep-water formation.
- Understand the ocean¿s role in the development of El Nino and La Nina events.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)