Jun 26, 2022
PORT 3110 - Portuguese I
Designed for intermediate or advanced speakers of Spanish (or any Romance Language), introduces the Portuguese language based on the grammatical and lexical foundations of other Latin-based languages. The course develops proficiency in speaking, oral comprehension, reading and writing through a communicative approach.
Requisites: SPAN 3120 or equivalent level in another Romance language (FR 3120 or ITAL 3120) or Portuguese placement level 3110.
Credit Hours: 3
General Education Code: 2CP
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Applies reading strategies that promote comprehension of various types of authentic written texts including poetry, short stories, song lyrics, newspaper articles, internet articles.
- Comprehends and comments on authentic video and audio recordings.
- Debates controversial topics at an intermediate level.
- Demonstrates knowledge of various characteristics of Brazilian/Portuguese society (history, politics, everyday life, kinship, taboos vs. accepted behavior, religion, gender, etc.).
- Recognizes a range of literary techniques in various genres and is able to reproduce these in own writings in Portuguese.
- Writes compositions, descriptions, and 3-5 page basic research paper in Portuguese using correct accentuation, spelling and grammar.
- The successful student: Engages in authentic oral communicative exchanges to provide, obtain, and interpret information and express emotions or opinions in Portuguese.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)