Master of Science in Geological Sciences
Geological Sciences - MS (Online non-thesis-option) – MS3325
Department of Geological Sciences
316 Clippinger Laboratories
Athens, OH 45701-2979
Delivery Mode: Online
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
The online Master of Science in Geological Sciences non-thesis program provides geology graduates and those from related STEM disciplines with advanced/applied training and experiences through a wide range of topics in Earth Sciences. The mission of the program is to enhance graduates marketability as the next generation of practicing geoscientists, earth science educators, and allied professionals. Students normally complete the program in three semesters.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Interpret, analyze, discuss, and critique scientific papers about geological problems and research techniques.
- Identify geological problems, formulate hypotheses to address geologic problems, and generate high quality written proposals for investigating geologic questions.
- Apply different geological methods to collect data and solve geological problems.
- Analyze, discuss, and formulate conclusions about geologic data to solve geological research questions.
- Produce high quality analyses of data, results, interpretations, and conclusions in written and oral scientific formats.
Opportunities for Graduates: The M.S. degree in Geological Sciences is the degree-level most often sought by employers in Geological Sciences. Excellent opportunities can be found in energy and environmental fields as well as careers within or related to geology including education, government, scientific communication, and consulting. These flexible and convenient online courses are applicable to working professionals and science teachers.
Link to Program: https://www.ohio.edu/cas/geology/graduate/ms-non-thesis
Link to Program Handbook: Most information is distributed within the department website (linked above). For a PDF of version of the most recent handbook, contact the current graduate chairperson.
Applicants are expected to have a bachelor’s degree in geology, earth/space sciences, integrated science, physical science, science education, or related degree from an accredited institution or equivalent. A curriculum vitae or resume, a one- to two-page statement that describes their interest in both the field of geological sciences and our graduate program, and three letters of recommendation are required. Students who are not native speakers of English must meet the university’s English proficiency requirement before starting the graduate program in Geological Sciences.
This online program is open to students globally. However, I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this program due to the nonresidential nature of the program. The Athens campus based Geological Sciences - MS degree (MS3321 or MS3324) may issue an I-20 based on admission.