Finance Certificate – CTFING
College of Business
College of Business Annex 351
Athens, OH 45701
Delivery Mode: Online
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Enrollment Eligibility: Current degree-seeking student or non-degree status
Expected Completion in 2-3 semesters
The program is designed to provide students with an enhanced ability to progress in financial and non-financial careers through developing an improved understanding of finance. Students will be equipped with a base of knowledge and theory in addition to gaining experience with industry standard techniques and tools for related analysis. Real world examples and relating material to current and recent events allow for strong connections to be made between courses and practice. The curriculum is focused in three core areas of finance:
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Markets
The mission of the program is to provide recent graduates and in-career professionals in financial and non-financial fields with an understanding of, and ability to mathematically analyze, decision making in finance.
Certificate Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Describe and implement the capital budgeting process.
- Apply valuation techniques to projects and investment opportunities for firms.
- Explain how the capital budgeting process and numeric techniques lead to efficient decision making.
Opportunities upon Completion
Students who successfully complete the Finance Certificate will gain knowledge related to the core areas of finance and gain experience using industry standard tools. This provides additional and improved career opportunities for students currently working inside finance and those working in other fields. Students will advance more quickly in finance as a result of knowledge and experience from the certificate that provide a jump forward in field expertise. The certificate will also allow students working in finance to more easily change roles within the field as their breadth of knowledge and experience has increased. Lastly, students currently working outside finance will also gain from an increase in their breadth of knowledge and experience, providing an advantage in securing broader-focus management roles.
- Online application with $35 fee
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited university, GPA 3.0 or higher
- Official transcript(s)
- Current resume
- Personal statement for students whose undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0.
- No GRE or GMAT scores required
International applicants must also submit:
- TOEFL iBT score of 150 or IELTS of 7.5
- General academic credentials evaluation (ECE or WES report)
College of Business Graduate Academic Credit Transfer Policy
Students may request transfer of credit from an accredited university within the limits of the Ohio University Graduate Catalog. Graduate credits from AACSB accredited business school or college may be applied toward a College of Business graduate program under the following conditions:
- A maximum of six credit hours toward a graduate degree program may be applied.
- A maximum of three credit hours toward a graduate certificate may be applied.
- Approval of transfer credit is granted by the Department Chair of the academic discipline in which credit is being requested. Course credit must be:
- Earned through an AACSB-accredited business school,
- Designated as graduate credit at the institution where taken,
- Letter graded B or better,
- Earned within the pasts five years,
- Applicable toward a graduate degree at the institution where taken, and
- Earned in courses taught by members of that institution’s graduate faculty.
Students must provide the following information to the Graduate College during the admissions process for graduate course credits to be evaluated for transfer credit:
- Official Transcript
- Syllabus from course(s) to be evaluated for transfer credit, from the term the course was completed
- COB Graduate Transfer Credit Form
This certificate program does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this program.
Admitted students will need to earn a C or better in all of the certificate courses. And, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be awarded the certificate.
Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours as follows: