Master of Fine Arts in Communication Media Arts
Communication Media Arts – MF5377
School of Media Arts and Studies
Athens, OH 45701
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Terms of Entry: Fall
The MFA in Communication Media Arts is specifically designed for mid-career professionals with an expertise in at least one media area who intend to gain expertise in at two additional areas: (e.g., Animation, Audio Production, Digital Games, Documentary Video, Graphic Design, Information Graphics, Interactive Media, Photojournalism, Studio Photography, Virtual Reality, or Web Design).
We highly value the role of teaching in our program and expect our students to teach a variety of undergraduate courses while they are enrolled in the program.
This is a full-time program. Normative time to completion is three academic years (including at least one summer).
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the M.F.A. in Communication Media Arts program will:
- Produce a depth of multidisciplinary work in two or more digital media areas (e.g., Animation, Audio Production, Digital Games, Documentary Video, Graphic Design, Information Graphics, Interactive Media, Photojournalism, Studio Photography, Virtual Reality, or Web Design).
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analysis within a specific societal context and their role in the communication field as it pertains to their chosen fields of media production.
- Produce original media based upon original research in one or more content areas of the student’s choosing (Communication, Social Sciences, Fine Arts and/or Humanities, e.g.).
- Demonstrate quality classroom leadership and organizational skills including delivery of content, leading classroom discussion, course planning, grading and feedback.
Opportunities for Graduates
The program expects students to return to the media industry with new creative skill sets and a richer portfolio, or to enter academia as a professor of media arts and visual communication.
Link to Program: http://ouscrippsmfa.com/
Applicants whose qualifications satisfy all elements of the following criteria are reviewed for admission to the MFA in Communication Media Arts program:
- Bachelor’s degree in an accredited program
- Minimum three years of experience as a working media professional after college
- Professional portfolio
- Interest in teaching media production courses at the undergraduate level
- Ability to attend the program as a full-time student; part-time enrollment is not considered at this time
Qualified applicants should demonstrate their qualifications by submitting the following:
- Letter of Intent specifically identifying: A) the two areas of media production that the student intends to pursue; B) a list of at least two professors with whom the student would hope to work with (see website for details); C) an overview of their professional media experience (minimum three years); and D) an explanation of their interest in teaching (most funding is based upon the student’s ability to teach)
- Links to a portfolio of professional media work and descriptions of the work that the candidate performed (if the work was collaborative)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- University requirements including TOEFL/IELTS
- GRE is not required
This program permits full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to this program.
Students in the program must be enrolled full-time and complete a minimum of 90 credit hours as follows: