Latin American Studies Certificate – CTLAMG
Latin American Studies, Center for International Studies
Yamada International House
Athens, Ohio 45701
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring
Enrollment Eligibility: Current degree-seeking student or non-degree status
Through a combination of interdisciplinary courses with core Latin America content and language courses, the Graduate Certificate in Latin American Studies will advance students’ critical knowledge of the region and their ability to apply their professional expertise to a range of national and international activities involving Latin America.
The graduate certificate program in Latin American Studies is intended to complement current Ohio University graduate students’ course of study or enrich non-degree students’ professional portfolio. Its combination of interdisciplinary courses with core Latin America content (at least 12 credit hours) and language courses (8 credit hours or evidence of proficiency) offers its students critical knowledge of Latin American history, current issues, and culture. This certificate requires a minimum of 20 semester credit hours. Students admitted in the program with intermediary level Spanish or Portuguese may opt out of the language courses and complete coursework with core content courses only.
Certificate Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to synthesize core area concepts and theories and acquire the skills to apply and evaluate these concepts to global opportunities and challenges.
- Students will be able to develop effective written and oral communication skills, characterized by the ability to write and present in the styles and forms that are acceptable in the professional world and/or for research in international studies.
Opportunities upon Completion
The Graduate Certificate in Latin American Studies prepares its students for jobs in government, development, and aid agencies, as well as in private and public academic institutions and organizations.
Link to Program: https://www.ohio.edu/cis/certificates/graduate/las
Non-degree seeking students interested in completing the Graduate Certificate in Latin American Studies must apply through the graduate college website and will be accepted if they meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited college or university;
- Ability to manage graduate studies, as evidenced by a written statement of purpose, a CV indicating the applicant’s education and work experience; and three letters of recommendation;
- Satisfactory completion of undergraduate or graduate courses with a minimum 2.0 (C) grade point average as reflected on official transcripts.
This certificate program alone may not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this certificate. However, this certificate can be completed during any Ohio University graduate program, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to that degree program.
Students must complete a minimum of 20 credit hours to graduate, and are expected to take at least one course (3-4 credit hours) toward the certificate each semester.