Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- MCB Plant Biology – PH6949
- MCB Biological Sciences – PH6947
- MCB Chemistry/Biochemistry – PH6946
College of Arts and Sciences
Molecular and Cellular Biology Program
Porter Hall 317
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Terms of Entry: Fall (interdepartmental transfers considered Fall and Spring)
This is an interdisciplinary program committed to providing students with one-on-one faculty mentoring and cutting-edge scientific, education, and research opportunities in molecular and cellular biology.
The program offers the Ph.D. in a broad range of areas in molecular and cellular biology catered to student and faculty interests. A core curriculum has been developed with course offerings in MCB, Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Plant Biology, and Computer Science, with access to world-class research facilities. MCB graduate students are also eligible to earn a graduate certificate in Bioinformatics during their study at Ohio University.
The MCB doctorate is a full-time program. Normative time to completion is five academic years.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Follow professional standards of scientific inquiry and responsible conduct in their research and professional interactions.
- Provide detailed explanations of topics within their research area of concentration.
- Explain key concepts across the breadth of the field of molecular and cellular biology.
- Design and perform experiments to test hypotheses, both independently and in collaborative research teams.
- Collect, analyze and interpret results from biological data.
- Perform statistical analysis, as necessary, to interpret datasets.
- Write competitive research proposals.
- Present scientific knowledge in both written and oral forms to both scientific and lay audiences.
Link to Program: https://www.ohio.edu/cas/molecular-cellular-biology/degrees
Link to Program Handbook: The Memorandum of Understanding outlining detailed processes and requirements can be found at https://www.ohio.edu/cas/molecular-cellular-biology/degrees/handbook.
Applications meeting the following criteria are reviewed for admission to the PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology program:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in biology or related discipline
- GPA (or equivalent) of 3.0 out of 4.0
- For international students: Minimum TOEFL iBT score of 95 (or 260 on the Ohio University-administered TOEFL)
- 3 letters of recommendation from current or prior professors.
- Resume or Curriculum Vita (CV) with employment and research experience, including part-time and / or unpaid volunteer or internship experiences.
- Personal Statement which includes: autobiographical sketch and statement of intent.
- A list of 2-3 MCB faculty members whose research you find especially interesting and would consider as potential mentors.
- For students applying for AY2022-23, GRE scores are optional.
This program permits full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to this program.
Complete 90 credit hours as follows, with no grade below a C: