Master of Health Administration (MHA)
Health Administration – MH8157
Department of Social and Public Health
Grover Center W324
Athens, OH 45701
Delivery Mode: Online
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
The mission of the master of health administration (MHA) program is to provide quality graduate education to early- to mid-career professionals currently working within and those who aspire to work within the healthcare industry by developing students’ leadership, interprofessional communication, and innovative problem-solving skills relevant to the dynamic healthcare system. Our mission is aligned with the student-focused and community-driven aspirations for our department, college, and institution. Faculty within the MHA program engage in relevant health services research and professional development activities that contribute to the greater good of the industry.
The MHA online degree program prepares early to midcareer professionals for leadership positions in a variety of U.S. health organizations. The MHA program prepares strategic leaders who can offer solutions to health care challenges – today and into the future.
The program is delivery entirely online. Students taking a normal load of two courses per term (Fall/Spring/Summer) will complete the program in two years.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
(Domain: Management Functions and Skills, Competency MHA 1. Financial and Analytic Skills)
- analyze and recommend financial management and systematic concepts and tools to evaluate organizational viability and effectiveness.
(Domain: Management Functions and Skills, Competency MHA 2. Performance Improvement)
- evaluate research, epidemiological, and evaluation concepts and tools for quality improvement strategies.
(Domain: Management Functions and Skills, Competency MHA 3. Strategy Formulation and Implementation)
critique the principles of organizational behavior and diverse workforce strategies to improve organizational operations, efficiencies, and workplace communities.
(Domain: Leadership and Professionalism, Competency MHA 4. Governance Structure and Roles)
- differentiate effective leadership methods and strategies to balance ethical values, risk management techniques, and policy requirements in administrative decisions.
(Domain: Leadership and Professionalism, Competency MHA 5. Professional Skills Development)
- synthesize and disseminate organizational and community-based, legal and ethical, financial, and regulatory data for effective decision making as informed healthcare leaders.
Link to Program: https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/masters-health-administration/
Link to Program Handbook: www.healthadmin.ohio.edu
- Entrance Examinations Required/Recommended: English Language Testing when English is not first language
1. IELTS 8.0 minimum across all bands
2. TOEFL 100 (iBT) minimum, 26 minimum on Writing Section, or
- Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited institution or equivalent
- Minimum GPA: 3.00
- Coursework Required: Statistics, Financial accounting with grade of ‘B’ or better or completion of approved non-credit courses which can be taken after admission.
- Resume or Vitae
- One letter of recommendation
- Professional Statement - Statement should detail purpose and goals (250-500 words) identifying skills, career and educational accomplishments, and professional plans and why the Ohio University MHA online program is the right educational path.
- Preferred: at least two years of recent, professional, full-time experience in the US health care system.
This program does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to the program.
Complete 36 credit hours as follows: