Certificate Title: Theater and Production Management
Certificate Name and Number: Theater and Production Management – CTTPMG
Department(s)/Unit(s): School of Theater
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring
Enrollment Eligibility: Degree-seeking students
Certificate Overview: The Theater and Production Management Graduate Certificate is 12 total credit hours and can be completed in two semesters. The certificate offers a holistic approach to management and enables students to develop a greater understanding of both the professional and artisan practices behind the management and production of theater. Through classroom learning and hands-on experiences, students hone their abilities in interpersonal communication, process, shop mechanics, and overall management of the theater.
Certificate Learning Outcomes:
- Students will gain an understanding of administrative skills and how they are specifically applied in the industry.
- Students will gain competencies in various aspects of production and personnel management.
- Students will learn professional and artisan practices that guide the overall management and production of theater.
- Students will hone their abilities in interpersonal communication and the ability to collaborate with–and advocate for- theater organizations, educational institutions, and/or community arts organizations.
Opportunities upon Completion: Theater and Production managers are highly sought after in the industry, yet often come to these positions underprepared. The certificate is a valuable credential to secure employment in professional theater companies, educational institutions, and/or community arts organizations.
The Certificate requires 4 total courses, 12 credit hours.
- THAR 5410: Intro to Theater Management (3)
- *THAR 5350: Technical Direction Shop Management (3) * permission required
- THAR 5610: Stage Management Seminar (3)
Choose 1 of the following:
- THAR 5395: Digital Portfolio and Performance Photography (3)
- THAR 5399: Design and Production Business (3)
Transfer credits may not be applied to this certificate.
Financial Aid Eligibility Information:
- Degree-seeking students may use federal financial aid only for 1) coursework fulfilling requirements of their degree, including required elective hours, or 2) coursework toward a second financial aid-eligible program.
- Students receiving federal financial aid may not take courses for this certificate unless they are also enrolled full-time (9 hours) in their degree program during the same academic term. Financial aid may be used for courses that count toward both degree requirements and the certificate.
- Completed application form
- Copy of most recent transcript or DARS report (GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- Interview with theater faculty
- Resume or portfolio that details professional theater (or equivalent) experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in theater or equivalent professional experience is required.
International Students: This certificate program alone does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this certificate.