Degree Title: Master of Arts in Theater
Program Name and Number: Theater – MA5138
Department/Unit: School of Theater
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Overview: The Master of Arts degree in Theater is a 30-credit program that offers a base in theater history and performance studies with possible additional in-depth study in directing or design and technology within a professionally-oriented School of Theater. This program allows students to demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and heightened skills in professional presentation, collaboration and communication. Programs of study are developed with the student’s primary advisor and must be delineated at the start of coursework. Masters’ students demonstrate their proficiency through a comprehensive examination, written thesis, capstone project, or, in exceptional cases, a professional internship. The degree may be completed in one full year.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate heightened skills in professional presentation, collaboration and communication.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of research practices, dramatic literature, theory and history.
- Apply heightened skills and demonstrate a comprehension of theories and methodologies as they relate to theatrical practice.
Concentrations: Possible areas of concentration include: Theater and Performance Studies, Directing, Scene Design, Lighting Design, Costume Design and Technology, Sound Design, Props and Costume Crafts, Technical Direction, and Stage Management.
Link to Program: http://www.ohio.edu/finearts/theater/academics/graduate-programs/ma-theater.cfm
- 30 Credit Hours required: 23 in core studies, 7 in electives.
- Demonstrated Proficiency through: thesis or capstone project in area of concentration
- Core Requirements:
Theater and Performance Studies (10 credits)
- THAR 5010 Introduction to Graduate Studies (3 credits)
- THAR 57xx, 67xx, 7997, 5396, 5398, 5510, 7211
- IART 74xx, 75xx, 76xx
- Course from other College of Fine Arts Schools eligible with departmental approval.
Production Practicum (4 credits)
- [Select from:] THAR 5100, 5200, 5300, 5600, 5700 Practicum
Specialization Area (10 credits)
- Develop a course of study with your Advisor, and submit to the Director’s office for approval.
- Courses selected may not also fulfill minimum requirements for Theater/Performance Studies, Thesis, or Production Practicum. Courses selected must be at the 5000 level or higher.
Exam / Thesis / Internship (2 credits)
- Complete 1 course for a minimum of 2 semester credit hours.
- Select from the following: THAR 5720 Theater Scholarship, THAR 7997 Independent Study, THAR 6960 Thesis Project, THAR 6940 Thesis Research, THAR 6950 Formal Thesis, THAR 7903 Internship PD&T, THAR 7905 Internship Playwriting.
- In consultation with your advisor, select and complete any University courses numbered 5000 or higher to reach the 30-semester credit hours minimum to earn a M.A. degree.
- Culminating experience: a capstone assignment encompassing training thus far.
Culminating Experience: Each area of specialization will require a different specific capstone ssignment, determined by the student’s advisor, and will include an oral thesis defense covering research, process, and outcomes of the project.
Admission Requirements: Admission to the program requires a Bachelor’s degree and is based on an evaluation of your portfolio, resume, and recommendations, as well as a review of your academic qualifications for graduate work. REQUIRED: an interview with faculty in the area of specialization and agreement between student and relevant faculty member which outlines student’s course of study. The GRE is not required for this program. International students must consult the University webpage for international studies for further information on such topics as the TOEFL, speak test, visas, and others.
International Students: This program permits full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to this program.