Degree Title and Name: Master of Music in Music Education
Program Name and Number: Music Education – MM5182 (Athens), MM5190 (Online)
Department/Unit: School of Music
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus, Online
Term(s) of Entry:
Athens campus (MM5182): Fall, Spring
Online (MM5190): Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Overview: The course work is divided equally between music education and other studies with many possible options that vary according to the student’s needs and interests.
Program Learning Outcomes: In successfully pursuing an Ohio University Master of Music degree, students will
- Develop advanced capacities to work independently and make effective artistic and intellectual judgments and professional decisions in the area of specialization.
- Demonstrate professional competence in the area of specialization before peers and faculty.
- Produce a final project or equivalent reviewed by more than one faculty member.
Opportunities for Graduates: Although the focus of the program is upon preparation to be a more skillful teacher, many options are possible, including preparation for music administration and supervision. The degree program prepares students for permanent certification and doctoral study leading to college teaching. The coursework is divided equally among music education and other areas such as music theory, music history, jazz studies, and applied music (including conducting).
Link to Program: https://www.ohio.edu/fine-arts/music/graduate
Link to Program Handbook: https://www.ohio.edu/fine-arts/music/student-resources-materials
Graduation Requirements: The degree requires 30 hours for graduation, as follows:
Music Education core – 13 hours
- MUS 6710 - Adv. Topics Mus Ed I
- MUS 6750 - Intro Research in Mus Ed
- MUS 6720 - Adv. Topics Mus Ed II
- MUS 6770 - Org. & Admin Sch Mus
Instrumental or Choral Track – 2 hours
- MUS XXXX - Mus Theory/Hist/Comp Electives – 4 hours)
- Music Electives – 6 hours
Culminating Experience: Options include a combination of a recital, thesis, and professional/clinical project.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in last 60 hours of undergraduate work.
- Undergraduate degree in music education required.
- Teaching Sample - 10-minute video demonstrating teaching proficiency.
- Academic Writing Sample.
International Students: The Athens campus program (MM5182) permits full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to this program.