Degree Title and Name: Master of Health Administration (MHA)
Program Name and Number: Health Administration – MH8157
Department/Unit: Department of Social and Public Health
Delivery Mode: Online
Term(s) of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Overview: The mission of the rigorous, comprehensive, and fully-online master of health administration (MHA) program is to prepare innovative, knowledgeable, and skilled leaders who strive to improve the U.S. health care system while continuing to advance their careers. Oriented exclusively to students who are experienced, mid-career, health professionals, the MHA online program extends Ohio University’s quality and tradition beyond its walls. It focuses on content essential to leadership in the health care industry and on development of skills to solve complex problems, identify and communicate with various stakeholders, maximize teamwork, and meet organizational goals.
The MHA online degree program prepares midcareer, experienced professionals for leadership positions in a variety of U.S. health organizations. The MHA program prepares strategic leaders who can offer solutions to health care challenges – today and into the future. The program is delivered entirely online.
Students taking a normal load of two courses per term will complete the program in two years.
- Students will be able to apply financial management concepts and tools to sustain organizational viability while protecting quality of care.
- Students will be able to analyze legal, ethical and public policy challenges in the leadership of health care organizations.
- Students will be able to recommend resources based on research, epidemiological, and evaluation concepts and tools.
- Students will be able to apply principles of organizational behavior and development to optimize workforce performance and aid problem identification, solution proposal, and change and conflict management.
- Students will be able to execute strategic planning and market analysis to lead stakeholders to a common vision that manages quality of care and supports strategic goals.
Link to Program: https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/masters-health-administration/
Link to Program Handbook: www.healthadmin.ohio.edu
- Minimum semester hours required:36
- Expected time to degree following program model: two years
- HLTH 6010:Introduction to the U.S. Health Care Delivery System (3)
- HLTH 6210:Health Care Finance (3)
- HLTH 6040:Research and Quantitative Methods for Health Services (3)
- HLTH 6300:Epidemiology in Health Administration (3)
- HLTH 6280:Health law (3)
- HLTH 6480:Ethical Issues in Health Care (3)
- HLTH 6030:Leadership of Health Organizations (3)
- HLTH 6350:Human Resources Leadership in Health Care (3)
- HLTH 6020:Information Systems for Health Services (3)
- HLTH 6100:Evaluation and Quality Improvement in Health Care (3)
- HLTH 6080:Health Policy (3)
- HLTH 6380:Strategic Planning and Marketing for Health Services (3)
Culminating Experience: The Ohio University Master of Health Administration program culminates in a required course, HLTH 6380 – Strategic Planning and Marketing in Health Services. This course is taken after all other program courses have been successfully completed. It serves as a capstone course, with a project that integrates the knowledge learned from all previous coursework. The students are like consultants in investigating the situation of a real health care system. Given a narrative and data about the health system, they are asked to provide an analysis of the system’s situation and to prepare a strategic plan based on this analysis. The health system selected demonstrates issues from every curricular area of the MHA program (for example, financial, ethical, legal, human resources, epidemiological). Preparation of the plan requires that students be able to utilize outside resources (regulatory documents, capital funding options, etc.), collate and weigh information and demonstrate leadership-level decision-making. In addition, the student product requires identification of stakeholders and their role in the strategic plan, recommended communication strategies and change management strategies.
- Entrance Examinations Required/Recommended: English Language Testing when English is not first language
1. IELTS 8.0 minimum across all bands
2. TOEFL 100 (iBT) minimum, 26 minimum on Writing Section, or
- Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited institution or equivalent
- Minimum GPA: 3.00
- Coursework Required: Statistics, Financial accounting with grade of ‘B’ or better or completion of approved non-credit courses which can be taken after admission.
- Resume or Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional Statement - Statement should detail purpose and goals (250-500 words) identifying skills, career and educational accomplishments, and professional plans and why the Ohio University MHA online program is the right educational path.
- At least two years of recent, professional, full-time experience in the US health care system.
International Students: This program does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to the program.