Certificate Title: Geographic Information Science
Certificate Name and Number: Geographic Information Science – CTGISG
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Enrollment Eligibility: Degree-seeking students or non-degree status
Certificate Overview: Geographic information science (GIScience) emerged as an interdisciplinary field to critically study geographic information and geospatial technologies, especially geographic information systems (GIS). This certificate’s curriculum ensures a balanced background in the three core areas of GIScience:
- theoretical foundations of mapping and geospatial analysis;
- use of geospatial technologies for creating, mapping, and analyzing geographic information; and
- general computational and/or information analysis skills.
On completion of this certificate, students will be able to independently complete typical mapping and geospatial analysis tasks arising regularly in a wide variety of disciplines and professions. The certificate program is designed to accommodate both degree and non-degree seeking students. The expected time to complete this certificate is 9 to 18 months, depending on the number of certificate courses students can enroll in concurrently.
Dr. Gaurav Sinha
Department of Geography
Clippinger Labs 105A, Athens OH 45701
Link to Certificate: https://www.ohio.edu/cas/geography/grad/gis-certificate.cfm
Certificate Learning Outcomes:
On certificate completion, students will be able to:
- define and discuss the major theoretical issues of and emerging trends affecting the computational representation, visualization, and analysis of geographic information.
- demonstrate ability to think spatially, engage in spatial analysis using GIS software, and interpret and communicate about geographic patterns to support geoscientific analysis and decision making.
- demonstrate practical knowledge of GIS and other related analytical software for mapping, database management, and geospatial analysis.
- demonstrate high quality graphic and map design abilities.
Opportunities upon Completion: According to the GIS Certification Institute (https://www.gisci.org), the number of professionals engaged in the geospatial industry will exceed 675,000 after 2020. GIS and mapping jobs are now so diverse that they are available at various levels of proficiency across thousands of different industries, government agencies, and academic institutions. Job opportunities for GIS specialists abound in both government and private sectors. Depending on skill level, career tracks include, but are not limited to, the following: geospatial analyst, spatial database administrator, cartographer, remote sensing analyst, software designer, data technician, GIS educator, and project manager.
Completion Requirements: A minimum of 15 credit hours in which the student has earned a cumulative GPA of 3.00, and to include the following:
- GEOG 5730 - Principles of GIS
Supporting Courses (Choose two)
- GEOG 5600 - Cartography I
- GEOG 5660 - Principles of Remote Sensing
GEOG 5740 - GIS Design & Application Development
- GEOG 5760 - Advanced Spatial Analysis & GIS Applications
Elective Courses (Choose one)
- BIOS 6700 - Biostatistics I
- CS 5440 - Data Communications
- EE 6643 - Digital Image Processing
- GEOL 5050 - Statistical Methods in Geology
- HLTH 6040 - Research and Quantitative Methods for Health Services
- PBIO 5150 - Statistical Methods in Plant Biology
- SOC 5500 - Data Analysis
Financial Aid Eligibility Information:
- Non-degree-seeking students enrolled in this certificate are not eligible for federal financial aid.
- Degree-seeking students may use federal financial aid only for 1) coursework fulfilling requirements of their degree, including required elective hours, or 2) coursework toward a second financial aid-eligible program.
- Students receiving federal financial aid may not take courses for this certificate unless they are also enrolled full-time (9 hours) in their degree program during the same academic term. Financial aid may be used for courses that count toward both degree requirements and the certificate.
Admission Requirements: No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
International Students: This certificate program alone does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this certificate.