Degree Title: Master of Music
Program Name and Number: Music Education MM5182, MM5190 (online)
Department/Unit: School of Music
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus (MM5182), Online (MM5190)
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer (Online)
Program Mission: The focus for individuals enrolled in the graduate degree in Music Education is the application of pedagogical information to enhance their teaching effectiveness in a wide range of teaching settings. Additionally, students can customize aspects of their degree to aid in the preparation for future studies at the doctoral level.
Program Learning Objectives: Students will demonstrate achievement of professional, entry-level competence in the major area. Original, professional, or clinical demonstration project resulting in a written paper suitable for presentation or publication at a professional meeting or in a professional journal.
Candidates will be able to:
- Interpret and evaluate research in music education.
- take leadership roles in the field of music education.
- apply effective strategies for student learning
- write articles and research in the field of music education.
Program Overview: The course work is divided equally between music education and other studies with many possible options that vary according to the student’s needs and interests.
Opportunities for Graduates: Although the focus of the program is upon preparation to be a more skillful teacher, many options are possible, including preparation for music administration and supervision. The degree program prepares students for permanent certification and doctoral study leading to college teaching. The coursework is divided equally among music education and other areas such as music theory, music history, jazz studies, and applied music (including conducting).
- Minimum of 30 hours
- Oral Exam or Culminating Project
- A Profession Project, Thesis or Recital
- The curriculum may be completed in 2 years
Culminating Experience: Options include a combination of a recital, thesis, and professional/clinical project.
MME Admission Requirements
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in last 60 hours of undergraduate work.
- Undergraduate degree in music education required.
- Teaching Sample - 10-minute video demonstrating teaching proficiency.
- Academic Writing Sample.