Aug 05, 2021
Degree Title: Doctor of Philosophy
Program Name and Number: Mass Communication-Media Arts and Studies - PH5307
Department/Unit: School of Media Arts and Studies
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Term of Entry: Fall
Program Mission: The mission of the program is to develop future academic and professional leaders who go on to become productive scholars, policy-makers, and media professionals around the globe.
Program Learning Objectives:
- Demonstrate superior research skills
- Demonstrate superior analytic and interpretative skills
- Demonstrate effective scholarly writing ability
- Demonstrate superior understanding of theory and practice involving media
Program Overview: The School of Media Arts and Studies and the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism jointly offer doctoral programs in Mass Communication. Applicants apply to one of the two schools depending on their research interests. In the School of Media Arts and Studies, doctoral students specialize in research areas related to international media, media industries & management, or media studies in technology and culture.
- Coursework: Total minimum semester hours required: 90 hours (may include transfer credits from master’s degree)
- Foundation course sequence of MDIA 6000 (1 hour), MDIA 6010, MDIA 6020, MDIA 6030, MDIA 7000, MDIA 7700, MDIA 7720 (27 hours).
- Area of specialization: at least 16 hours
- Secondary area: at least 8 hours
- Research tools: 8 hours
- Additional courses
- Comprehensive exam
- Expected time to degree if studying fulltime: 3 years.
Culminating Experience: Dissertation
- University requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Writing sample.
- Personal statement of purpose.