Ohio University Graduate Catalog 2015-2017 [Archived Catalog]
Health Administration - MHA
Degree Title: Master of Health Administration
Program Name and Number: Health Administration - MH8157
Department/Unit: Social and Public Health
Delivery Mode: Online
Program Mission: The mission of the rigorous and comprehensive MHA fully online program is to prepare innovative, knowledgeable, and skilled leaders who strive to improve the US health care system while continuing to advance their careers. Oriented exclusively to students who are experienced, mid-career, health professionals, the MHA online program extends Ohio University’s quality and tradition beyond its walls. It focuses on content essential to leadership in the health care industry and on development of skills to solve complex problems, identify and communicate with various stakeholders, maximize teamwork, and meet organizational goals.
Program Learning Objectives:
- Apply principles of organizational behavior and development to problem identification, solution proposal, change and conflict management.
- Use financial management concepts and tools to sustain organizational viability while protecting quality of care.
- Develop skills to negotiate legal, ethical and public policy challenges in the leadership of health care organizations.
- Optimize the performance of a diverse workforce through leadership of human resource policies, processes, and practices.
- Guide use of appropriate administrative and clinical information technology structures.
- Use strategic planning and market analysis to lead stakeholders to a common vision that manages quality of care and supports strategic goals.
- Develop strategic communication skills, knowing when and how to inform key stakeholder.
Program Overview: The Ohio University Master of Health Administration (MHA) online degree program prepares mid-career, experienced professionals for leadership positions in a variety of U.S. health organizations. The MHA program prepares strategic leaders who can offer solutions to health care challenges – today and tomorrow. The program is delivered entirely online.
Link to Program: www.healthadmin.ohio.edu
Link to Program Handbook: www.healthadmin.ohio.edu
- Minimum semester hours required = 36
- Thesis requirement = No
- Qualifying exam = No
- Comprehensive exam = No
- Expected time to degree following program model = two years
- Entrance Examinations Required/Recommended: English Language Testing when English is not first language
- IELTS 8.0 minimum across all bands
- TOEFL 100 (iBT) minimum, 26 minimum on Writing Section, or
- Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited institution or equivalent
- Minimum GPA: 3.00
- Coursework Required: Statistics, Financial accounting with grade of ‘B’ or better or completion of approved non-credit courses which can be taken after admission.
- Resume or Vitae
- Number of letters of Recommendations: 3
- Professional Statement - Statement should detail purpose and goals (250-500 words) identifying skills, career and educational accomplishments, and professional plans and why the Ohio University MHA online program is the right educational path.
- At least two years of recent, professional, full-time experience in the US health care system.