Certificate Name and Number: African Community Health Services Certificate - CTACHG
Department/Unit: College of Health Sciences and Professions – Department of Interdisciplinary Health Studies
Delivery Mode: Athens Campus
Certificate Overview: Students in the African Community Health Services Graduate Certificate Program can make the difference in African community health through interdisciplinary collaboration. This program, which requires a minimum of 18 semester credit hours, is designed to help students develop their abilities in career building, sharpen skills in community health and in the delivery of health-care services to African regions, and extend their understanding and ability to address African health issues and challenges.
Graduation Requirements: This program requires a minimum of 18 semester credit hours. Degree-seeking students who complete the program are awarded the African Community Health Services certificate upon graduation, and a notation of the certificate is recorded on the transcript. Non-degree students receive a notation of the certificate on their transcripts upon completion of the certificate requirements. Upon applying for graduation (for degree-seeking students) or completion of the certificate requirements (for non-degree students), you must contact the certificate coordinator for verification of completion and the awarding of the certificate.
Michael Kushnick, Chair
Department of Interdisciplinary Health Studies
Grover Center W122
Athens, OH 45701
Complete the following requirement sections: Select at least 18 hours from the following courses.
Part 1: Select the two courses below.
- HLTH 6150: Maternal and Child Health in Africa (3)
- HLTH 6170: HIV/AIDS in Africa (3)
Part 2: Select at least one of the courses below.
- HLTH 6100: Evaluation and Quality Improvement in Health Care (3)
- HLTH 6240: Community Health Programs (3)
Other Required Courses: Select at least one from each Group (1, 2 and 3).
Group 1: Select at least one of the courses below.
- GEOG 5310: Geography of Africa (4)
- BIOS 5440: Tropical Disease Biology (3)
Group 2: Select at least one of the courses below.
- HLTH 6480: Ethical Issues in Health Care (3)
- HLTH 6770: Grant and Proposal Writing in Public Health (3)
- ANTH 5550: Medical Anthropology (4)
- GEOG 6310: Seminar in Regional Geography: Africa (4)
Group 3: Select at least one of the courses below.
- HLTH 5120: International Health Programming (3)
- HLTH 6070: Health Promotion and Health Behavior (3)
- HLTH 6140: Public Health Services in Underserved Rural Populations (3)
- HLTH 6160: Health Care and People of Africa (3)
- HLTH 6921/IHS 6921: Practicum (1-5)
Admission Requirements: The African Community Health Services Certificate program will accept students in two categories: (1) those who have been admitted to an advanced-degree program at Ohio University and (2) those who possess a bachelor’s or advanced degree but are not currently in a degree program at Ohio University.
- Students who have already been admitted to an advanced degree program at Ohio University (degree-seeking graduate students) need to complete an Application for Update of Graduate Academic Program. This application can be obtained online or in-person from the Graduate College. The completed application, including the signature of an advisor and the certificate/program coordinator, should be submitted to the Graduate College office at Ohio University.
- To apply for the African Community Health Services Certificate program as a non-degree student, you must submit an application, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score, post-secondary transcripts, an essay on career goals and objectives, a resume, and three letters of recommendation and submit to this package to the Graduate College.