Mar 28, 2023
HLTH 6030 - Leadership of Health Organizations
Structure, organization, and function of health care delivery organizations and systems with emphasis on leadership concepts and issues such as control, change management, communication, and decision making.
Credit Hours: 3
Repeat/Retake Information: May not be retaken.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Apply theories of organizational behavior and organizational development to collaborate in evaluating and redesigning structure, operations, and processes to optimize effectiveness, efficiency, and quality assurance.
- Demonstrate ability to form, lead, and work in teams that are efficient, focused, and flexible.
- Demonstrate knowledge about how to facilitate a physician governance system and manage physician relationships with theorganization, including buy-in to organizational business practices for non-employee physicians.
- Demonstrate systems thinking (breaking down silos, integrating parts, seeing the big picture, etc.).
- Describe management of resources (e.g., assess resources requirements; conduct risk assessment; assess business value; develop implementation strategies).
- Explain how health services are managed and governed.
- Explain leadership relationship to board of directors and other components of the governing structure and assess governing bylaws, policies, and processes.
- Identify and develop personal leadership traits and predict personal leadership function in relation to a changing and complex health care environment.
- Identify methods to create a participative culture with a shared vision, inspire individual and organizational excellence, foster creativity, manage organizational conflicts, and manage change toward the organization’s strategic goals and for quality.
- Integrate communication plans in leadership (e.g., crisis communication, dispute resolution, role in motivation, visioning, status, change management, etc.) recognizing needs of all constituencies.
- Recommend techniques to create an organizational climate that values and supports diversity, encourages teamwork, facilitates individual motivation, and promotes continuous organizational learning in an environment of mutual trust.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)