Mar 31, 2023
COMS 1100 - Communication Among Cultures
The purpose of this course is to explore the role of communication in understanding, accepting, and appreciating cultural differences. Culture includes not only issues of nationality, ethnicity, and race, but also issues such as gender, socioeconomic status, and age. Using a number of co-cultural, cross-cultural, and intercultural examples, students explore how communication is a key component of bridging cultural differences.
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Foundations: Intercultural Explorations
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2CP
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: DEI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Students will be able to explore and analyze the interconnected relationship between culture and communication.
- Students will be able to explain how culture and communication are both theoretically rooted in a socially constructed reality.
- Students will be able to identify and explain one’s own cultural rules and biases.
- Students will be able to describe the complexity of elements important to members of another culture in relation to its history, values, politics, communication styles, economy, or beliefs and practices.
- Students will be able to interpret intercultural experience from their own and others’ worldview and to act in a supportive manner that recognizes the feelings of another cultural group.
- Students will be able to explain cultural differences in verbal and nonverbal communication and to negotiate a shared understanding based on those differences.
- Students will be able to analyze and explain social, cultural and/or political perspectives of at least one historically underrepresented ethnic, religious, or other (gender, class, disability etc.) group toward itself and its place in society.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)