Sep 19, 2021
ENG 2020 - Introduction to Poetry and Drama
Introduces students to different forms of poetry and drama. Students acquire and deploy a critical vocabulary in learning to read and analyze these texts.
Requisites: ENG 1510 or 1610 or 151A or 152 or 153 or 153A or 153B
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Pillar: Humanities: Text and Contexts
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2HL
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: TMAH Arts & Humanities
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Students will be able to describe generic conventions, forms, and literary techniques across a variety of poetry and drama using appropriate literary terminology.
- Students will be able to analyze poems and plays using close reading.
- Students will be able to draw persuasive connections between the form of individual poems and plays and the meaning that they create.
- Students will be able to communicate conclusions about the meaning and effects of poems and plays using persuasive literary evidence.
- Students will be able to recognize the ways in which historical and/or cultural contexts for writing present authors with different literary tools, expectations, and concerns.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)