Dec 01, 2023
PSY 2710 - Abnormal Psychology
Development, presentation, and assessment of psychological disorders, with evaluation of major etiological theories and research findings.
Requisites: 7 Hours in PSY including 101D or 1010
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Arch: Connected World
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: TAG course: OSS017 Abnormal Psychology
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Students will be able to analyze theories, research methods and findings (outcomes), and applications developed by psychologists and made available through textbooks, newspapers, professional and lay periodicals, and the Internet.
- Students will be able to compare and contrast the symptoms of psychological disorders with non-pathological behaviors.
- Students will be able to describe and evaluate the historical and cultural viewpoints as well as current theoretical views of psychological disorders.
- Students will be able to describe the clinical picture and discuss clinical assessment of each of the major psychological disorders (e.g., anxiety, mood, personality, and psychotic disorders as well as addictions) using the DSM for the reference.
- Students will be able to distinguish myths and misconceptions from facts regarding psychological illness and therapy and apply facts to understanding of diagnosis, etiology, prognosis, and treatment of psychological disorders.
- Students will be able to evaluate ethical issues regarding treatment and current status of treatment resources.
- Students will be able to evaluate the relevance of current and past research within clinical and counseling psychology.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)