Aug 01, 2021
MGT 4800J - Business Strategy
Intended to be a challenging and exciting capstone course for the undergraduate business curriculum. It is first and foremost a course about “strategy” and about “managing for success”. The course is centered on the theme that a company achieves sustained success if and only if its managers effectively formulate and implement an astute strategy. We will explore how and why doing a good job of strategy formulation and strategy implementation produces good business performance. The course will also integrate much of the knowledge gained in the business core curriculum, pulling together the multiple disciplines that you have taken in the core. In addition, this course will be writing intensive and will require you to submit, revise, and resubmit written work to demonstrate professional level skills.
Requisites: (FIN 2400 or FIN 3000) and MGT 2100 and MIS 2020 and MKT 2400 and (MGT 3200 or concurrent) and Sr only
Credit Hours: 3
General Education Code: 1J
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to explain the importance of ethical principles, personal and company values, and socially responsible management practices.
- Students will be able to conduct strategic analysis in a variety of industries and competitive situations.
- Students will be able to develop managerial judgment, assess business risk, and understand competitive challenges of a global market environment.
- Students will be able to develop student capacity to think strategically about a company, its business position, and how it can gain a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an ability to reason carefully about strategic options, use what-if analysis to evaluate action alternatives, & initiate changes needed to keep strategy responsive to emerging market conditions.
- Students will be able to Integrate the knowledge gained in earlier core business courses.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)