Jun 06, 2023
CS 4160 - Problem Solving with Bioinformatics Tools
Focuses on bioinformatics tools and biological databases; utilizing them to solve problems designed from current issues in biological, biotechnological, and biomedical research.
Requisites: CS 3610 and WARNING: No credit for both this course and the following (always deduct credit for first course taken): PBIO 4160
Credit Hours: 3
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will become familiar with the capabilities of popular bioinformatics tools, and with the kind of information contained in popular biological databases.
- Students will develop the ability to employ state-of-the-art bioinformatics tools to collaboratively solve a set of biological research problems.
- Students will develop the ability to use bioinformatics to analyze data from an expression profiling (microarray) experiment. S
- Students will develop the ability to use bioinformatics to determine the phylogenetic relationships among a set of species, given DNA sequence data from each species.
- Students will develop the ability to use bioinformatics to determine the structure and function of a gene and the proteins that it encodes, given the DNA sequence of the gene.
- Students will develop the ability to use bioinformatics tools to perform searches for regulatory motifs, which control gene expression.
- Students will gain a detailed understanding of the course concepts is acquired by solving problems with a team.
- Students will gain insight into how bioinformatics tools and biological databases are used in multidisciplinary biological research and experimentation processes.
- Students will gain introductory knowledge about bioinformatics as a discipline and the genomic age. This includes the following specific topics: genome sequencing, genome annotation, types of genomic elements, sequenced genomes, etc.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)